jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why is it so difficult to start a career in the US with a degree from another co

1. discovernew profile image58
    discovernewposted 6 years ago

Why is it so difficult to start a career in the US with a degree from another country?

2. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

America can be a bit self-centered about many things especially education. Your degree is just as valid, in the world of academia, as any American degree. It's just that "all things American" is part of the culture and this can be a difficult concept to deal with for a new arrival. Please don't despair. You and your education will be appreciated when you find the right situation. Don't give up...we need you and all that you have to offer. Good luck !

3. discovernew profile image58
    discovernewposted 6 years ago

What a great comment! I think you just lifted up my spirit wink Thank you so much for the warm words!

4. Allen Williams profile image82
    Allen Williamsposted 6 years ago

discovernew, I hate to burst your bubble but it is just as difficult to get a career started in America when you have an American degree, especially if you have light colored skin.  Today America is all about pleasing the folks with dark skin, illegal immigrants, or criminals (to rehabilitate them).  This is a country of left wing ideology, corruption, and prejudice.  Unfortunately you do not have the right color.  Our Affirmative Action laws promote the hiring of dark skin people.  Companies get paid by the government to hire someone of color over any white person so you might want to reconsider your decision to start a career in America.  It isn't what it used to be since the introduction of Affirmative Action, Political Correctness, and Progressives.  Sorry for the bad or negative news but I don't play the game of saying what someone wants to hear.  I speak the truth of the reality that we are in.

5. BaliMermaid profile image54
    BaliMermaidposted 6 years ago

The sad fact is that this is true. There are reasons how and why things came to be that way. It is also true that many universities out side the USA are as good, or better than many of the schools in the USA.

It is also true that in some countries you can buy your diploma. This is something that does not happen in the USA. Because of this a person may get in the door with a foreign degree but hey will be at a disadvantage until they prove themselves.

Then again that is usually the case with any new employee so expectations of what a degree can do for you, these days, may be higher than what can be achieved.

6. sir_tallest profile image62
    sir_tallestposted 6 years ago

i just believe that Americans believe they have one of the best education system in the world....so why should they accept someone they think is of lower standard when they can employ theirs...they feel they are too big for other country standards