jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How would the confirmation of the Higgs boson sub-atomic particle change our wor

1. Connie Smith profile image91
    Connie Smithposted 6 years ago

How would the confirmation of the Higgs boson sub-atomic particle change our world?

Other than just confirming a theory, when the Higgs boson sub-atomic particle is discovered, if it exists, how is that going to affect new innovation? Will it lead to new advances in health or technology, including modern warfare? What are the pros and cons of this dicovery?

2. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Not sure.  I am thinking about writing a Hub about the Higgs boson sub-atomic (God particle) to learn more about it.  I guess it will help explain how the universe works and where all the dark mater is, etc.

3. Doc Snow profile image97
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

Not any time soon, in all likelihood.  This is fundamental physics, and doesn't immediately change anything in the "macro-world."

Over the longer term, very possibly.  Quantum physics was very "woo-woo" stuff, too, yet it has had significant repercussions in electronics, and will clearly have much bigger ones in computing.

4. CloudExplorer profile image78
    CloudExplorerposted 6 years ago

It won't end world hunger and wars that's for sure, but it would shead some light on the facts leading up to puzzling questions many subatomic physicist have had questions of all these years ever since Einstein created the atom bomb. 

It May even expand our technological awareness and mind frame to make better machines then we currently have, because knowing the true source of the god particle may have such an effect on the scientific minds of this world.

5. NiaLee profile image61
    NiaLeeposted 6 years ago

Sadly, every time we discovered something powerful we used it to destroy, control or   threaten...so, I frankly look at scientists as people who are used to hurt or willingly hurt sometimes.
    How many manipulations and test on the public that we don't know about? I used to be a real fan of science, now I think two times before clapping my hands at a "discovery".

working