How is it that we have one body of water and five oceans?

1. davenmidtown profile image87
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

How is it that we have one body of water and five oceans?

We  have five oceans and several seas and gulfs but only one body of water... how is that?

2. dipless profile image82
    diplessposted 6 years ago

A body of water is defined as any significant accumulation of water, usually covering the Earth or another planet. The term body of water most often refers to large accumulations of water, such as oceans, seas, and lakes, but it may also include smaller pools of water such as ponds, puddles or wetlands. Rivers, streams, canals, and other geographical features where water moves from one place to another are not considered bodies of water.

So we don't only have one body of water.

3. colpolbear profile image97
    colpolbearposted 6 years ago

I do believe that the names of the oceans, seas and gulfs are merely reference tools to describe general location.  In other words, when I refer to the Pacific Ocean, I'm really saying "that big slab of the big body of water between the Americas and Asia."  It's a lot easier to say the Pacific Ocean.  Think of it as referring to states in the United States.  They're all part of the same mass of land (for the most part,) but they are all named differently for convenience sake.  It would be very difficult to refer to an area without a name for it.

working