jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What's up with all these vampires?

1. rickzimmerman profile image78
    rickzimmermanposted 6 years ago

What's up with all these vampires?

Are they just a fad? like aliens? then wizards? then ghosts? then lost survivors? then hoarders? then pawnbrokers? then tattooists? Is the American popular cultural buffet a bit weird, or what?

2. Cammiebar profile image76
    Cammiebarposted 6 years ago

I have always loved vampires--they were my favorite monster.  But now that people like Stephanie Meyer changed them and made them . . . weird, I guess?  They are certainly horribly sparkle-y . . . I can only figure out that it's a fad that simply hasn't died out yet.  I sure hope it does and that American fad stay away from my interests.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think the current vampire popularity has to do with the Meyer books.  She made vampires a much safer entity and brought them out the dark so-to-speak.  I have always enjoyed vampire movies long before Ms. Meyer tamed them.

I agree, we have become so desperate for entertainment we will watch someone pan for gold week after week, or fight over a bridal gown.  Yes rickzimmerman, a weird pop cultural buffet - well put.

4. samanthaholloway profile image80
    samanthahollowayposted 6 years ago

I think the vampire thing will keep going for a while yet. It's been in the forefront for several years now, and it hasn't gone away--just made people come up with more variations on the theme. I got really tired of vampires for a while, and there were moments when I was reading a book and all of a sudden realized it was a vampire feeling with a sinking feeling--though I was usually surprised. Now I'm just sort of used to them, like how I get used to bad / questionable fashion choices and hairstyles.

It seemed that zombies or werewolves might dethrone them, but it hasn't happened yet...