jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What's the best source for learning a new language?

1. K9keystrokes profile image91
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

What's the best source for learning a new language?

2. Ms Dee profile image89
    Ms Deeposted 6 years ago

Hard to say as it would depend on two factors; 1) which language, 2) the learning style of the learner.

3. Talata profile image58
    Talataposted 6 years ago

Hi K9keystrokes! Thank you for the question. In my opinion every source could be the best one - it is a question of individual preference and self motivation. However, I could recommend my favorite site for studying foreign languages   -   http://uz-translations.net/. You can find all the educational materials needed - e books, software, audio and video files. I am sure all the people passionate for learning languages would love it.

4. athena2011 profile image56
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

If you had the opportunity, immersion in the culture itself by living in the country of the language you want to learn, for 6 months to a year, would be the most ideal.

I realize this isn't always practical for most people but you asked for the "best".

5. DeanVega profile image59
    DeanVegaposted 6 years ago

try starting where you started with your current language. Children's books and early learning

6. profile image0
    Dr Shehaposted 6 years ago

For me, I think a experienced tutor is  the best choice.

7. modgirlok profile image60
    modgirlokposted 6 years ago

Either immersing yourself in a culture or area where the langugage is spoken, or using a tool like Rosetta Stone.

8. VirginiaLynne profile image97
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

My husband and I have used a variety of methods to self-teach.  Pimsleur, podcasts, studying grammar books, and All Talk CD listening tapes.  We are experience language learners and have found that learning on our own is actually more productive than a class if you are motivated to keep at it, and get to a point where it is part of your regular schedule (I do it while in car and while exercising mostly).  We've studied Mandarin and Spanish this way.  I also have studied German, French and Greek in the past.  I do have some Hubs on learning Chinese for kids and adults.