jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do charter schools help or hurt public education in the United States?

1. ChaplinSpeaks profile image96
    ChaplinSpeaksposted 6 years ago

Do charter schools help or hurt public education in the United States?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image97
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

They definitely hurt public education because statistically their students do no better than those in public schools, but they take away much needed money from the educational system.  Additionally, many are frauds and do nothing to truly educate students.  It's a bad idea set up by greedy politicians, many of whom have financial interests in charter schools, which are big money makers.

3. PatriciaTL profile image85
    PatriciaTLposted 6 years ago

As an educator who taught within the public school system for years and also as a mother who watched her daughter successfully navigate that system, I feel that, for the most part,  charter schools have a negative impact on public education. Often, they draw the best, brightest and/or most talented from the ranks of the public schools, leaving a void in certain areas.  For example, a local performing arts school might deplete the pool of candidates needed to sustain a strong drama department at the public high schools.  An academic, college-oriented charter school would threaten the competitive spirit that often motivates and sustains academic success.  Also, charter schools are funded by taxpayer dollars; all of the money used to fund charter schools means a significant loss of funding for public schools.  Perhaps we need to rethink what the meaning  of a public school education truly is.

4. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

We have seen a number of chartered schools established in the past three years in our area. I have heard some very good reports and some not so good.  The good reports have teachers who value students and are passionate about their work.  The not so good reports are due to poor administration, quality of classroom instruction and poor student interest.  I am not an expert in this area so I cannot comment on how effective charter schools are compared to public education.  What are some of the reasons for government funding of chartered schools?

5. albertcamus27 profile image60
    albertcamus27posted 5 years ago
  6. Addie Price profile image61
    Addie Priceposted 5 years ago

They absolutely help public education.  I do want to clarify that Charter Schools are Public Schools.  In most cases, charter schools are opened by parents of children who are struggling in the traditional public school system.  Once the charter school opens the struggling students are removed from the traditional public school - leaving behind children that are excelling.  The charter school is free to provide different teaching styles to the individual student so that he/she can succeed in school.  It is a win - win for all the public schools because the traditional public schools has a decrease in the number of students who are failing.

working