jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How much more would we know and be ahead if the Greek library never caught fire?

1. HMathis1112 profile image60
    HMathis1112posted 6 years ago

How much more would we know and be ahead if the Greek library never caught fire?

2. amazingcollec profile image60
    amazingcollecposted 6 years ago

I've pondered this question myself. I believe we have lost many great writings in that fire, many writings that we will never be able to enjoy. A true tragedy but I also believe we have the potential to write something great, to connect with others and perhaps open some eyes to the mysteries of the soul, the depth and being of consciousness, and the plane of reality that we live in.

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
    Shahid Bukhariposted 6 years ago

As much, as we know now ... and we would be ... exactly where we are now !

Libraries ... are repositories of the Transcribed Record of Events and Happenings ... generally Associated with, "on paper" written books ...

These Records could be in any form ... in the form of 12000 years old French Cave Paintings ... half as old Rosetta Stone, Egyptian Hieroglyphs ... or quarter as old ... Homers Odyssey,  Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Arganon ... et al..

Human Experiential, is "Recorded" by individuals, or a group of individuals and craftsmen out of sheer Magnanimity, or Compulsion ... Presenting an "Angular" or a "Personal" point of view of, the Reality ... Such Collectively form Libraries.

Yet most Greek Thinking is in the form of "Verbal" Narrative ... Folklore, Mythologies, Songs and Dances ... Spoken or performed ... never Written ... yet remains available and Forms the "basis" of your present "Myths and Beliefs" ...

In His Ordination ... Human hand written records ... libraries, have often been Burnt in History ... Yet this burning has not led us back to the Caves ...
    Humankind hath emerged better informed of the Truth, of Reality.

In Present times ...

The desecration of Koran by a few ignorant fools, hath only made us better Muslims ... though for our Love ... for The Word of God, involves paying its human price ... with the lives, of many Muslims ...
    But Muslims have emerged stronger by these burnings ... For Muslims leave the matter In the "hands" of Allah ...  He will Decide the Fate of these Evil Pyromaniacs.

4. HMathis1112 profile image60
    HMathis1112posted 6 years ago

I think the Great Pyramids are so fascinating!  Imagine how we would erect them today.  How did they erect them then?  Did they use magnetism?  Maybe those answers were there. . . and lost.  Think about how much the Greeks knew about the circumference of our world and the distances from here to the moon or the sun. . . If they knew that within small error, what else were they onto?