jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is hot water heavier than cold water?

1. AEvans profile image79
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

Is hot water heavier than cold water?

Having a family member who has to use cervical traction and she doesn't understand why she cannot use cold. I have explained it to her already, but of course she wishes for me to come to the masses to see if your answer matches mine.

2. Trevor Davis profile image57
    Trevor Davisposted 6 years ago

Heat rises so the hot water would be slightly lighter than the cold water regardless of the same mass.

3. profile image0
    paxwillposted 6 years ago

Hot water is less dense than cold water, so if you have the same volume of hot and cold water, the container of hot water will be lighter than the container of cold water.  Here is a link with the density of water at different temperatures:

http://www.had2know.com/academics/water … lator.html

Water that is 5 deg C has a density of 0.99997 g/mL, while water that is 70 deg C has a density of 0.97777.  The difference is rather slight.

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

I doubt it, I'm no scienttist, but steam rises, you can't get hotter water than steam, on the other hand, ice, floats on water.  Perhaps at the two extremes, water is lighter than liquid water

5. wldtky44 profile image59
    wldtky44posted 6 years ago

I would of answered the question but paxwill has the best answer. Hit it right on the head.

http://hurricanetrafficgenerator.com/links/2749

6. mindful mamo profile image60
    mindful mamoposted 6 years ago

Have you ever experienced swimming in a warm summer lake, diving toward the bottom and hitting a layer of cold water that takes your breath away? smile Cold water sinks because it is heavier (denser) than warm water

7. Sadie14 profile image89
    Sadie14posted 6 years ago

Why hot water does not weight more than cold water. The scientific facts. read more

8. r jayanthi profile image61
    r jayanthiposted 6 years ago

Hot water is lighter than cold water. when we heat water hot water comes to the top and it is relatively cool below. the entire cycle of rains is based on the fact that water comes on top due to heat (later coveting to steam ie. clouds ) and comming down to earth due to cooling in the form of clouds

9. Teylina profile image60
    Teylinaposted 5 years ago

Couldn't have answered even when you wrote it, without thinking about it. Get the answers right here, and I don't think I'll ever forget this chemistry lesson!

working