jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is teaching children cursive writing in school still important in today's techno

1. Sturgeonl profile image83
    Sturgeonlposted 5 years ago

Is teaching children cursive writing in school still important in today's technology world?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

Absolutely.  Studies have shown that the ability to write well formed cursive helps to increase mental stability.  The neater the handwriting, the more stable the mind!

3. sarahperkins profile image83
    sarahperkinsposted 5 years ago

Definitely! It improves penmanship and frankly I have learned to write much faster in cursive so taking notes in college was a breeze compared to printing and it looked much neater

4. artariq profile image61
    artariqposted 5 years ago

Yes, I see a value to this, though I'm not sure it should necessarily be restricted to writing in cursive. What needs to be taught more is the ability to express oneself in one's writing without resorting to emoticons. Technology has made most kids (and many adults!) into lazy writers. I think we're losing the ability to expressing devices such as irony, sarcasm and jest without relying on smileys. People tend to do this more on the computer than on paper, so yes - keep teaching kids how to use pencils and notepads!

5. MazioCreate profile image73
    MazioCreateposted 5 years ago

Children need to "feel" the words they write to become familiar and develop a connection with them.  Sounds a little romantic, but top selling authors prefer the pen over the keypad e.g. John Le Carre, J.K. Rowling, to name a couple.  When I say feel, I refer to the construction or flow of the word. It is extremely important for both cursive and printing writing styles, but more so for cursive.

6. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

There is some question as to the importance of teaching cursive in school these days. I know many children go from coloring with crayon to typing on the computer, ipad, kindle, etc. It seems that they would have little use for this.  However, as we know technology fails at one point or another for different reasons (weather/electricity) and without a default to writing we would be at a loss.  Manuscript is fine but cursive is much faster.