jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do you feel that cursive writing should still be taught in secondary schools?

1. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Do you feel that cursive writing should still be taught in secondary schools?

43 States have now made it "optional" to teach cursive writing. Thus begins the slippery slope toward Newspeak.

2. Madeline Madison profile image73
    Madeline Madisonposted 6 years ago

If not cursive writing, at least some sort of handwriting class.  As a teacher, I am definitely appalled at some of the handwriting I see, as well as the "text" talk that enters formal research papers.  Language definitely has become simpler and shallower.  Perhaps we are on the track towards Newspeak.  Yikes!

3. Nan Mynatt profile image61
    Nan Mynattposted 6 years ago

No, I taught cursive writing in kindergarden 1, & 2nd grades.

4. glassvisage profile image88
    glassvisageposted 6 years ago

I believe that it is important to at least expose students to cursive. I prefer cursive because I think it is more than a style of penmanship; I think that it can demonstrate sophistication and personality. As long as others use it, I think it should be taught. I also agree with Madeline that students should practice their penmanship in school - I would get C's in penmanship when I was in 4th grade, and I was so competitive that I worked on it until it looked much better.

5. mkrandhawa profile image59
    mkrandhawaposted 6 years ago

I think Cursive writing should be taught in the secondary schools and also handwriting classes to improve the handwriting of students.I also agree with Madeline and Madison

6. Vanessa Anderson profile image60
    Vanessa Andersonposted 6 years ago

I say yes.  While it's getting very rare for people to actually write letters anymore, this is an art that everyone should know.  Emails are a wonderful thing, I'm not going to lie.  However, actually taking the time to hand write a letter is so much more personal.  If my daughter's school doesn't teach her, I will.

7. Ebower profile image83
    Ebowerposted 6 years ago

I feel that cursive writing should still be taught, but maybe not in abudance.  The computer is so crucial in our society today, but students still need to have decent penmanship and be able to sign their name on documents in the future.

8. saanj H profile image75
    saanj Hposted 6 years ago

HI

I think cursive writing depicts the personality and the handwriting of a person. So Cursive writing should be taught in schools to some extent at-least.

here's a link that tells you about the importance of a good handwriting. http://www.edurite.com/blog/tips-to-imp … ting/1210/

9. Pamela N Red profile image86
    Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago

There are a few reasons I think cursive writing is important even though most schools barely teach this art and some have discontinued the practice altogether. read more

10. Monique Graham profile image60
    Monique Grahamposted 5 years ago

I remember learning how to write cursive when I was in third grade.  By fourth grade we were no longer allowed to print.  I have three children, grades 12, 9, and 6.  None of them learned cursive in school, I taught them all myself.   I think it’s sad because there is an area on the SAT where they have to write in cursive, but many children nowadays do not know how.

working