jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do we need to change to a year-round school system?

1. Hypersapien profile image36
    Hypersapienposted 5 years ago

Do we need to change to a year-round school system?

It just seems that there's so much more being taught in schools today (e.g., computers), so how can we expect students to learn all that plus everything that was being taught a generation ago in the same limited amount of time?  I just can't help feeling that the kids are geting shortchanged somewhere.  Maybe there are courses that just aren't taught any more (Civics, maybe?), or perhaps the subjects just aren't taught in as much depth as previously.   Is the solution a longer school year?  Do you even feel that this is a problem?

2. pstraubie48 profile image85
    pstraubie48posted 5 years ago

There are pros and cons about year round schools. One of the biggest issues is child care for working parents. On the year round system I worked for the children were on nine weeks and off 2. That presented a problem for child care.
    I liked it from the teacher aspect as the children seemed to retain information better as they did not have such long periods between learning material.
    I believe if there were less assessing and more actual teaching that schools would turn around. Teachers are assessing and assessing and assessing...it lives little time to teach. This is much too complex an issue to thoroughly answer here.

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

never. kids need to be kids and living teaches them as much or more then school ever will. the idea of forcing them to go to school even more then they already do is just wrong.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I don't think we should do this.  Children and teachers need time off to recoup...and children need time to play in the sunshine.  Students don't take every single course...they have choices.  The basics, however, are not too much for them to handle during the 10 month school year.