jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is teaching a Job?

1. factsknowing profile image70
    factsknowingposted 5 years ago

Is teaching a Job?

You studied Chemistry and now you teach Chemistry. Should you be called a Chemist or a teacher. And if you were not a Chemist, could you have been a teacher of Chemistry?

2. Trish_M profile image84
    Trish_Mposted 5 years ago

Hi smile

I would say both chemist and teacher.

Personally, I think that chemistry teachers should have a chemistry degree and a certificate in education.

However, to teach just the basics, to younger children, it might be ok to have a generally high level of education, with teaching certificate, and to know the facts, even if one does not have the formal chemistry qualification.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

Of course teaching is a job!  More than that, it is a career...and one that only certain people can do well.  There is more to teaching than just knowing the nuts and bolts of a subject.  The ability to get the information from your mind to that of a student is a real art.  If you think I'm wrong, get certified and start teaching...then tell me what you think!!

4. networmed profile image61
    networmedposted 5 years ago

Yes, teaching is a job and if it's your passion, that job would become more enjoyable.

In your example, a chemist but end up being a teacher. Yes, you're still a chemist and at the same time you're practicing your profession. You can't be a teacher if you don't know what you are teaching about.

To be real teacher, you have to know and efficient of what you are teaching. Teaching something that you have only read in a book and have never touch or make anything in actual, is not really teaching...but, somewhat just relaying what the book's author has written.

If that's the case, you won't be effective, even your students might feel sleepy when you're teaching.

5. hectordang profile image57
    hectordangposted 5 years ago

Yes, it's a job. It should also be a passion if one wants to do it well.

6. Cherrietgee profile image78
    Cherrietgeeposted 5 years ago

The answer to that question depends on the teacher.

A job is something that any person can do in order to make money to pay bills and purchase what they need to survive. There are jobs that provide goods and services, but I don't think most people plan to retire from a typical job. My first job was a hostess at a major restaurat chain, and it was just that, a job, something to do, a way to earn a little extra money. There is very little advancement in a typical job. However, there are those who have learned how to turn a job into a career.

A career has more to do with one's gifts, talents and passion. Careers required specialized training and those who have careers - whether in the food industry, in business, in the medical field, in education or in any other field - are constantly looking for ways to perfect their craft. There is always the opportunity for advancement, and they continue to improve themselves until they retire.

I am a teacher, and I believe teaching is a career and I treat it as such. However, I know people who think of teaching as a job - something for them to do right now, until something better and more fulfulling comes along.