jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it appropriate to give medicines (Ranitidine) to be exact IVTT while BT is go

1. scruffyfy profile image60
    scruffyfyposted 6 years ago

Is it appropriate to give medicines (Ranitidine) to be exact IVTT while BT is going on?

I have a question to ask regarding giving medication while blood transfusion is on going. I had a case one time in which the patient has an ongoing Blood transfusion and her ranitidine needs to be given at that certain time. Now, I told my colleague that I will just give the medication after her BT because I felt it wasn't appropriate to interrupt the transfusion. But then, she told me that it is still okay to give the drug provided that I flush the blood after the port and give the medication and flush again and after that, continue with the transfusion. just confused.

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Yes, that is ok, though it is preferable not to administer via the same line as the blood transfusion. If the blood is being transfused slowly, then the Ranitidine would be off schedule if delayed. I would consult hospital policy and also check with the prescribing physician to see if it would be ok to delay and reschedule the Ranitidine due to the blood transfusion.

3. My Nurse Says profile image63
    My Nurse Saysposted 6 years ago

It's very OK to give the medicine in the middle of a Blood transfusion. You're colleague was right in suggesting to pause the transfusion first, flush it with the saline IV fluid, give the medication, flush it again so the medicine will be absorbed then continue on with the blood transfusion according to the appropriate drop rate regulation.

4. scruffyfy profile image60
    scruffyfyposted 6 years ago

@Dubuquedogtrainer profile image89
    Dubuquedogtrainer @ My Nurse Says : Thank you so much for the answers. This makes me at peace now. I really appreciate your answers smile

working