Can a personal shortcoming be turned into a personal strength?

1. IDONO profile image82
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

Can a personal shortcoming be turned into a personal strength?

I used to be confused between what I was missing and the way I used what I have. Before recovery, my alcoholism was killing me. Now, my experience with it is being used to try to help other people. I am still an alcoholic, but have found a way to use that in a positive way. Hackers make the best agents to stop identity theft. Get it? What's your experience?

2. DreamerMeg profile image90
    DreamerMegposted 5 years ago

I think you're quite right, in that personal shortcomings, once you recognise and address them, can become strengths. For instance, someone who is always late for appointments can recognise that and learn ways of addressing it, so that they are usually on time, except for something really unexpected coming up. Once you have managed to turn yourself round on something, you can use your knowledge and experience to help others who are struggling with the same problem, provided they recognise they have a problem and want help. I have learned from experience NOT to try to help people who have a problem, if they don't recognise it and if they don't genuinely want to change. They won't appreciate "advice".