jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is the ranking of universities so important?

1. phillippeengel profile image79
    phillippeengelposted 5 years ago

Is the ranking of universities so important?

Would you want to be enrolled into a not so prestigious and famous university, given that the tuition fees are cheaper than those from top universities?

2. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 5 years ago

Actually, because of scholarships and the increasing cost of public Universities, it is not always a lot more expensive to go to a private University these days.  Probably a student's best best is to go to a junior college for 2 years and then transfer.  However, you can't necessarily get into the very top level schools that way.  What I'd suggest my kids to do is to decide what they wanted to do in a career and choose a good school for that major.

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Is how intelligent you are important? Say you get a degree at the University of Phoenix. While that might sound great to you, most businesses put students from the Universtiy of Phoenix at the bottom of the pile when viewing people for a job. If you want to get hired, you should go to a respected college.

4. PhiMaths ATB profile image60
    PhiMaths ATBposted 5 years ago

It very much depends on what you intend to do once you graduate. If you are going to apply to graduate schools for example, it i important to to to the most highly respected school you can get into. On the hand, if you are going to be a school teacher, you're probably best off going to a ppublic university in the state you intend on teaching in..

(and a bit of self promotion: http://hubpages.com/t/2fa0ec -advice on choosing a university)

5. profile image50
    moisesklineposted 5 years ago

I guess ranking is important, to an extent. What's equally important is accreditation. The college must be accredited by a reputed agency that’s recognized by the US Department of Education. Accreditation is the benchmark against which employers evaluate the standard of education imparted by the college. I had been reading a California College San Diego student review, and found that the college is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges, a well-established organization. Apart from ranking and accreditation, tuition fees, student life and campus facilities are some of the other important things that students evaluate when choosing a college.
    http://www.studentadvisor.com/schools/c … -san-diego