jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Has the Formula for the "Scientific Method" changed over time since it was first

1. J.S.Matthew profile image83
    J.S.Matthewposted 5 years ago

Has the Formula for the "Scientific Method" changed over time since it was first implemented?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

No, it has not. I took a course in logic and scientific method when I was in undergraduate school and it is still the same today.

3. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

"Scientific method" is really a very broad definition of the process for assessing the correctness of a hypothesis.....

Much like the USofA Constitution.... most people wouldn't say that scientific method is a very specific FORMULA for analysis... but is - instead - broader guidelines for how to analyze something..... After all.... one wouldn't use the same "scientific method" for every analysis....  AND, there is even room, within "scientific method" for dispute as to whether or not a PROPER "scientific method" was used.   

A good example would be political pollling....  Many organizations will post "results"... but those results are subject to dispute... sometimes because detractors aren't in agreement with the METHOD used!!!...

4. Adsenseonline profile image61
    Adsenseonlineposted 5 years ago

I hope it has!!!
    Scientific method as a hole is about progress, progress, progress.

The world of science has had to move forward with all scientific discovery and theory. This is to make sure that the very best discoveries are fact or very plausible before being announced to the general public. Also to manipulate and make advances on that very first idea.

You see everything we have (technologically), for example our personal computers started from a single fact, theory & idea, if it wasnt for scientific method there would be no progress on how advancements that make our pc's faster every 6 months (moores law).

i do howether feel very sorry for some theoretical scientists who try to think outside the box and have there ideas poo poo'd by the scientific world because it doesnt fall inline with there own theories.. But thats just science (sub atomic).

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Scientific method remains scientific method. I have used scientific method for the past 3-4 decades in my work in the medical field and quality improvement and the basic method has not changed! I thought the question was about "scientific method."

5. profile image0
    alloporusposted 5 years ago

Not really. We still use experiments to test hypotheses and statistical probability to interpret the results. What we also have now that we didn't used to is computational power. We can process vast amounts of data, use models to generate predictions and calculate complex permutations to test if they will work. We can even do this spatially (think Google Earth) as well as over time.

But to be sure of a result we still defer to the empirical experiment.

6. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

No, technology has changed but the rules of science haven't

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Correct.

working