Can today we learn Abacus - the old calculator used by ancient China?

1. ahmed.b profile image76
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

Can today we learn Abacus - the old calculator used by ancient China?

And if yes was are some good resources. Is learning Abacus easy or tough. And about how much time one would take to learn it.

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 5 years ago

It's very easy to learn, it's essentially just beads in lines representing 1, 10, 100, 1000, etc. -- they're not hard to make, and some educational outlets still sell them. I was homeschooled and wasn't allowed to use a regular calculator until I went into public school in 8th grade, and by then I could do just about anything in my head because I could visualize the abacus. As for how long it takes to learn...the basic concept can be learned very quickly, but I honestly don't know how long it'd take to really get comfortable with it since I started with one as a very small child.

3. Danddman profile image60
    Danddmanposted 5 years ago

I agree with wychic - the concept is fairly easy to learn if you already ue arabic numbers, however...when I was stationed in Japan with The Marines, clerks used abacuses in the stores and many of them could use it faster than I can 10 key.  It was fascinating to watch and test.  I would go into a store and change my order several times just to watch the clerks fingers fly.  Now slide rule logarithms are a different bird . . . lol