jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Who really owns the Spratlys Island? Why did you say so?

1. ultimate kenneth profile image60
    ultimate kennethposted 5 years ago

Who really owns the Spratlys Island? Why did you say so?

Since this island is claiming as their own property by different countries like China, Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Brunei, it is very important to hear our voice and thoughts about this issue. Maybe this question will lead to worldwide enlightenment about this issue. Who really owns the Spratlys Island? Your answers and comments are highly appreciated.

2. buddinglinguist profile image60
    buddinglinguistposted 5 years ago

It's difficult to say. Both Vietnam and China have legitimate claims, discovering and documenting the islands in the late 19th century.

Were there indigenous inhabitants, I would prefer them to choose their allegiance democratically. But alas, no such natives exist. The population consists completely of foreign nationals.

I'm in no rush to see who wins ownership. The islands would only be used for military purposes.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I think there are two ways to answer that. First is by examining geography and history. Personally, I find that proximity and historical usage have more value than historical claims (when so-and-so discovered them). Even so, there are multiple valid claims to the island group based upon proximity, usage, and discovery. I don't see how ownership could be awarded to any one nation. It could be chopped up, but that seems like a messy option, and one which could lead to an unfortunate and dangerous military build-up.

The second solution is to decide the best and most equitable way of moving forward (which might to some extent ignore previous history, claims, and proximity in the hopes of achieving a better future outcome). I suspect this would involve placing the island group and surrounding seas under the 'ownership' of an administrative body comprised of members from all interested nations. I would think that the organization ASEAN could serve as a starting place to establish such a body (it already includes most of the nations with interest). This body could oversee competing claims and adjudicate them.

Unfortunately there is a third option. The owner will be the one with the biggest muscles, which of course in this case is China. If China wanted to they could simply claim the islands. No one in the region has the military to challenge them. I suspect, though, that China is in a bit of a dilemma. Part of them wants to exert national pride and strength and be able to simply lay claim to what they want. The other part knows that smooth flowing trade, based in part on good relations, is in their best interest. It is a delicate balance.

4. profile image0
    Jhudahposted 5 years ago

hi kababayan! God owns it of course.

For me I think the best way is to share spratly's island and see what it can give to all people. I don't know what is really in the spratly's island but if the powerful country won't give this up then .. sigh.. i don't know maybe Philippines should give this up we still have many problems to solve because if we continue it can cause trouble and many Filipinos will suffer. and also i'm not happy about the U.S helping the Philippines to claim spratly's i'm sure they also have hidden motives.

there, the government should think about it very wisely and they should make the safety of all Filipinos the first priority.

but this not mean we are losers.