jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you fight tachycardia?

1. gregoriom profile image76
    gregoriomposted 5 years ago

How do you fight tachycardia?

Is there any remedy or home treatment that you can apply to someone who's having tachycardia?

2. teyeger82 profile image76
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

When I was younger (in high school), I would have episodes of tachycardia at basketball practice after doing sprints. To my knowledge, I had no heart conditions then and have none now but I would encourage you to have yourself checked out just to make sure there is no real problem. The way I would slow my racing heart was to bend over and put my hands on knees and hold my breath. For whatever reason, it worked every time and within less than half a minute, my heart rate would slow.

3. gregoriom profile image76
    gregoriomposted 5 years ago

Thankfully this is not my condition, but sadly is my nephew's. The last time he had one of those episodes was last week and he said he felt like his heart was going to explode. He said he had a sharp pain in the chest as well. We spent all night at the hospital. They did an EKG and some other tests. He got done an Holter yesterday, but I would love to find out or to know if there is any way that could be controlled at the moment of the attack.

4. docashp profile image54
    docashpposted 6 months ago

Tachycardia is never physiological (physiological bradycardia is a known entity).
    So assessment by cardiologist or physician is mandatory.Treatment should be done with drugs if your doctor finds something wrong.
    Certain types of tachycardia respond to " vagal stimulation" by carotid massage or applying mild pressure on your eyeball or washing your face with cold water.
    These can be used under emergency situations when drugs to treat the same are not present.
    If tachycardia is present due to non cardiac causes like fever or anxiety treating the underlying cause will help.

working