jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How to solve equation q=k*Q^n for unknown k and n, with two known values of q an

1. ahmed.b profile image76
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

How to solve equation q=k*Q^n for unknown k and n, with two known values of q and Q?

2. Caleb DRC profile image78
    Caleb DRCposted 5 years ago

We need two equations, right?  If we determine the different values for q and Q, then we solve them by solving for K in one equation and then substitute it into the 2nd equation. We can then take the log of both sides to isolate n in order to solve for it.

Great question, Ahmed; however, I know you know the answer--I read your profile.

I have a question for you: If q and Q are respectively the same in each of the 2 equations then do you think there would be a solution if we include the complex numbers? For example, if q = 3 in each equation, and Q = 7 in each equation, then could we come up with answers for K and n in the complex numbers?

ahmed.bposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Caleb DRC for the answer. I usually ask question because this you know different other approaches, and sometimes simpler,to solve the problem. Answer to your Q. is, if q and Q are same in both equations i.e 3 and 5. The k and n both will be 1.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

To those who are good with this stuff--my congratulations.

However, this is why I got a D in college algebra and failed trig--just not my cup of tea.

ahmed.bposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not everything is cup of tea for everyone. Like Journalism is not mine. Good luck with what you are good at. As I think dealing with social sciences is much more complex and unpredictable than with laws of physics and mathematics.

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My problem with physics and mathematics is that the teachers could never give me a real application to solve. My algebra skills developed better when I began working. Sines, cosines and logarithms still leave me clueless. Wish I understood better.

working