jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do you think about planting on walls? Is it good or bad for building struct

1. ahmed.b profile image78
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

What do you think about planting on walls? Is it good or bad for building structure?

I mean about building life, structural strength,  ease of access for maintenance & repair and installation of new systems.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6845467_f260.jpg

2. profile image56
    kumar24894posted 5 years ago

Both. The advantage will be that we will get more oxygen and we will get our green planet back and the disadvantage is that insects will dance in our home .

3. Rashad Al profile image72
    Rashad Alposted 5 years ago

I think it's nice as an aesthetic approach.. I never really hated seeing plantings on walls they look very beautiful and give a very nice touch to walls.. however it is known that architects often put plantings on walls to hide a structural defect. I'm not sure if that is the case here but I think plants give a naturalistic effect to buildings that cannot be achieved otherwise,,

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I would think it allows moisture into crack and crevices and could eventually cause erosion.  Not to mention the bugs and spiders that dwell in the kinds of vines you have in the photo.  Looks nice but I think in the long run they could cause structural problems

5. tom hellert profile image59
    tom hellertposted 5 years ago

It all depends.. on what your talking about inside or outside inside- no biggie but outside...thats another story- It all depends on what the building is constructed from- bricks- red bricks orsmaller bricks in size I like the look of them but the big grey concrete blocks... ya gotta pint those to protect them and for aestetics. unless its a prison and studies have shown colors can reduce violence  Houses need painting for sure not sure if that was what you were looking for...
    TH

6. ShootersCenter profile image73
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

Plants will hold in moisture, dirt, mildew and mold, none of which is good for any structure. water will damage brick, concrete and rot wood, as cracks open that will allow pest and farther damage. I always recommend to my customers to never plant to close to the building, keep a little distance between landscaping and structures.

7. zsobig profile image83
    zsobigposted 5 years ago

In my opinion, if the building is well prepared and built, then it can look good on old and new as well.
    But to be honest, these plants usually do more harm than good: moisture under them can cause serious problems later and the bugs crawling up on them - well, I wouldn't want them in my room!

working