jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What are some good programs/websites to learn German?

1. stiggies profile image79
    stiggiesposted 5 years ago

What are some good programs/websites to learn German?

Lately I've started on wiegehtsgerman.com but I want something a little more advanced and inexpensive to start speaking the language fluently.

2. Volitans profile image82
    Volitansposted 5 years ago

I've heard good things about Live Mocha. Beyond that, though, if you want to learn to speak fluently you'll want to find a German speaker to talk with.
    And for some solo tips, just try to think in German and constantly think about how to say normal phrases auf Deutsch.

1. stiggies profile image79
      stiggiesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, just signed up. Will try and find a few German speakers at my university.

2. Volitans profile image82
      Volitansposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It really is the best way to go... when I learned German I was fortunate that both my dad and my uncle were fluent, so I would talk with them all the time.

3. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 5 years ago

I've heard the Rosetta Stone programs are great from many people the only downside to it is the cost but then again if you think about it, it would be about the same amount if you went to class and learned the language from a teacher only you can learn at your own pace and at home with Rosetta Stone. But like Volitans suggested, learning from a fluent speaker is the best way to do it because when you're in an actual conversation with someone, you'll realize that they aren't going to always speak properly like you were taught in the classroom. I learned that with French. I studied French for five years then actually going to France showed me that a lot of those classroom lectures didn't matter when you're in the actual country speaking to a native person, it's so much different!

1. CWanamaker profile image99
      CWanamakerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I used Rosetta stone for a few months and learned quite a bit of German.

2. stiggies profile image79
      stiggiesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes I know this product. My dad uses the French version but it was very expensive.

4. bongawonga profile image91
    bongawongaposted 4 years ago

My favourite app for my ipad is Mindsnacks. It is available for a couple of languages. Since I am a German native I dont need it for German, but I use it to learn Spanish. My son, too, and he loves it. It basically consists of nine fun games with cute cartoons.

working