jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Approximately how much time does it take to learn a new language?

1. nmdonders profile image84
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

Approximately how much time does it take to learn a new language?

If I wanted to start learning a new language, how much time will it take before I have a good understanding of it?

2. ahmed.b profile image77
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

6 Months to 2 years depending upon your environment, your commitment and your requirement.

3. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

I donĀ“t think it is easy to answer that question because it really depends on your circumstances. When I learned Arabic it was via the immersion method. I lived with a family who spoke no other language so the only way to communicate, even to say something as simple as "pass the salt", it was via immersion. When I was learning Irish the family i stayed with all spoke English as a second language and it took a lot longer. If you are going to learn French or Spanish while still living in the US you really need to have someone you can converse with; if not you end up with that "high school" type of fluency and are more likely to make mistakes/be misunderstood.
    A short answer? I think you can be fluent in 3 months (with immersion) or you might take a year (with tapes and a friend) or you might never be fluent (with typical schoolroom type lessons).

4. Kiera G profile image59
    Kiera Gposted 5 years ago

Once you've learnt one language, it's easier to learn another because you have more of a grasp on how languages function.  For instance before I started learning a second language, I had no idea about the different tenses.

working