jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Pros and cons of learning a second language

1. LowellWriter profile image77
    LowellWriterposted 9 years ago

Pros and cons of learning a second language

2. ademaree profile image57
    ademareeposted 7 years ago

I have taken Spanish, French, and German. I believe that learning a second language makes you more articulate in your native tongue. It gives you a better grasp of how grammar and vocabulary function in relation to themselves and also increases your own vocabulary.

Having said that, the only real con to learning another language is that sometimes you flip into it by accident and no one understands you. If you learn more than one language of the same type, like Chinese and Japanese, or French and Italian or Spanish, the words get jumbled up. The words for things in spanish and french and italian are often very very similar. it can be difficult to keep the lists of words separate from one another.

3. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 7 years ago

Learning a new language can be helpful for travel and job opportunities.  Cons - If you don't use it you lose it... If you never have the opportunity to use the foreign language you study, you'll end up forgetting most of what you've learned.

4. Aussieteacher profile image78
    Aussieteacherposted 7 years ago

Just for fun mostly.  Dreaming maybe.  I learned French at school, but other than understand English a little more, I have not used it.  I learned Italian for a while and did use it a bit - but I've forgotten it - and never been to Italy.  One day - the dream continues.  I can understand a bit of Chinese, but it is very hard to learn.

5. profile image0
    Worldwide Postsposted 7 years ago

There are only pros actually, no cons.
    Learning a language means learning a new way to think, to talk, to see things and understand cultures. It allows you to travel and meet people, learn, express yourself.

Education has no price smile

6. My Language profile image51
    My Languageposted 7 years ago

There are no cons. People sometimes mistake a seeming delay to speaking in small children to the fact that their language develoment has been slowed down by learning two languages at once. However, children start speaking at very different ages anyway. My bilingual son said his first word at age 7 months!

Pros:
    - Cross-cultural understanding
    - Enhanced comprehension of the various dimensions of language
    - Some studies have shown enhanced learning abilities of bilingual children and adults

7. Time4Travel profile image61
    Time4Travelposted 7 years ago

Learning a language has so many wonderful benefits. Check out my hub on the pros of language learning at http://hubpages.com/hub/10-Reasons-Why- … r-Language

8. oldhorse profile image65
    oldhorseposted 6 years ago

I think the main con is that it takes time and energy to study another language.  That time or energy might be better spent on other things.

Conversely, knowing something of two languages and cultures is like having two eyes instead of one; you get to know a little more about the human experience.

Anyway, I have consistently spent 15 hours a week studying Chinese for the last nine years.  I've found the trade off with other things that I could invest that time in worthwhile.

working