jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Find the 288th term in the series ABBCCCDDDDEEEEEFFFFFF.........

1. rahul0324 profile image84
    rahul0324posted 5 years ago

Find the 288th term in the series ABBCCCDDDDEEEEEFFFFFF.........

A math question testing your series skill smile

2. Aficionada profile image87
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

I haven't checked this yet, but I believe it is X.

3. bubba-math profile image60
    bubba-mathposted 5 years ago

The position of the last occurrence of each letter is a triangular number. If the nth triangular number is x, it is given by x = n(n+1)/2. And so n in terms of x is given by the equation

n = -0.5 + 0.5*sqrt(1+8x)

Plugging x = 288 into the equation yields n = 23.5.  This means the 288th term is between the 23rd and 24th triangular numbers.  The 23rd letter is W and the 24th letter is X, so the 288th term is X.

rahul0324posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are very correct smile

4. profile image0
    tigresosalposted 5 years ago

The right answer will be W.
    Each alphabet here is repeated the number of times of its positional sequence in the series of alphabets. 1 A , 2 Bs, 3 Cs and so on. So we want to know where 288 comes as a result in the sequence 1+2+3+.......... and so on. 
    This sequence goes in an arithmetic progression with a sum characteristics with a formula x=n*(n+1)/2 or 288=n*(n+1)/2
    solving for n we get something that starts with 23 and ends with 24. W is a positional alphabet for 23 that will be start at a position 277 and will be repeated 23 times before the start of X that will start at a position of 301. So, the 288 th position will obviously be W and not X.

If you will solve in detail... you will come to find out it is X.... It is a CAT question and the answer was X.... try solving once more.... I did solve first with the natural progression method.,.. and then I sat to check it down... and I got X

2. profile image0
      tigresosalposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh Yes! You are right. I missed the fact that W ends at 276 and thought that it would end at 300. Thanks a lot for correcting.

3. rahul0324 profile image84

no worries friend... to err is human smile

5. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 5 years ago

After understanding the question, I can only conclude that X marks the spot...

working