jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever seen a shark in the ocean while at the beach?

1. Rosie writes profile image87
    Rosie writesposted 5 years ago

Have you ever seen a shark in the ocean while at the beach?

Just last week a man took a photo of a large fin not far from swimmers in waist deep water in Avon, "N.C. tourist captures fin of shark in photo"(The Virginian Pilot).  The picture was shown to a National Park Service ranger, who estimated the shark to be 15 to 20 feet long and either a great white or tiger shark.

2. MickS profile image74
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Yes, and I've seen a shark, probably a Porbeagle, about 10-15 foot long, swimming around Saint Ives, Cornwal, Harbour when the tide was in and so the beach was unavailable.

Rosie writesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is sooo scary to me.  I've seen is a large dolphin leap in the air just 5 feet from me in waist deep water, which made me fall backwards as I saw the fin first.

3. UMHiram profile image76
    UMHiramposted 5 years ago

Thankfully NO ... I think that I would pass the heck out if that became a reality.  I've seen dolphins and whales ... that's about all I would want to see.  It has been scary here as of late with all of the shark sightings so close to shore.

I'm with you.  Every summer I hear about sightings and attacks.  I know the chances are remote but it still creeps me out.

4. LaughinChance profile image59
    LaughinChanceposted 5 years ago

While fishing at Ano Nuevo Island just north of Santa Cruz we watched a HUGE Great White Shark swim by (immediately next to) the transom of our boat right on the surface... the length was very impressive but it was superseded by its girth!

Have also seen a Great White knock a Seal out of the water, same location.

About 3 years ago at Capitola Beach, a beach packed every day of the summer, the beach goers watched a Seal attacked by what experts deemed a Great White Shark (based on witnesses fin description) just off the shoreline... it was reported in the Santa Cruz Sentinel newspaper too.

Swimming in the Ocean is entering their habitat.

Wow! The closest I've come to a large shark, is when I watched Jaws and that was enough to make me cautious in the ocean - Did anyone continue swimming after seeing the seal attack?

working