jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you live in a hurricane prone area?

1. CJWood71 profile image84
    CJWood71posted 5 years ago

Do you live in a hurricane prone area?

If you do live in a hurricane prone area, do you have emergency supplies on hand?  Do you have a hurricane response plan for your family?  I am just curious how prepared people are to deal with these situations.

2. iTommyGuns profile image84
    iTommyGunsposted 5 years ago

Although I don't live in a hurricane prone area, I do keep some supplies and take some precautions. After Katrina hit, my eyes really opened that disasters can and will happen and help is not always available. I always try to keep a good supply of water at the least. We are usually pretty good with easy to eat foods with having three kids in the house. I also keep a good supply of batteries and some various types of lights and glow sticks.

I have taken a free class from my county called Community Emerrgency Response Team (CERT).  The idea is to be able to first help yourself and your family, then help your neighbors until more professional help is available. I was taught triage, basic first aid, fire suppression, and search and rescue techniques. They gave me a kit upon completion that has masks, eye protection, first aid kit, helmet, gloves, vest, and tools for turning off gas, etc.

After loosing power for 8 days during an ice storm up in northeast pa and living in a hotel room with 5 people, I now have a portable generator so I can keep up functioning at home if needed.

3. melbelle profile image60
    melbelleposted 5 years ago

Yes, I have supplies, and I am keeping up with the direction of Isaac that is forecast to hit florida.  I have my "always-on-hand-supplies" - portable grills, matches, candles, flashlights, cooler, etc.  Then when I know that the chance of the hurricane will actually hit us, I go to the grocery store and buy up bottled water, lots of ice, easy to prepare foods, dog supplies, etc.  If it looks like it will hit, a few days before, I start eating anything in the freezer and refrigerator that can spoil, because when it hits and the electricity goes out, everything has to get tossed. Then a day before it hits, I fill up trash cans outside with water for washing and to work toilets. I fill up the car with gas to prevent rain from getting in the tank.   I pull In anything in the yard that can get blown away, and there is a list I check of to make sure everything is done before a hurricane hits. 

There are stages I go through as I watch the progression of hurricanes.  The worse part of it, is when the electricity goes out.  It gets really, really hot.  If the electricity is out for several days, I get in the car and load the dog up, and we drive with the A/C blowing during the hottest part of the days.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. I always have lived in hurricane prone areas. Louisiana, Florida, and Texas. We have back up candles, extra gasoline in case it's bad, canned food, two ice chests filled with food and ice, cases of bottled water. We also have two grills, plenty of food to cook, all the laundry done, etc. We just stay indoors inside our home to wait for the storm to end. Then we wait until everything is back until normal. The worst one took a month, but it was fine.