jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Which civilisation had the largest empire?

1. JKenny profile image92
    JKennyposted 5 years ago

Which civilisation had the largest empire?

2. Simba73 profile image74
    Simba73posted 5 years ago

Come on !!!
    The same who won the 1966 world cup, all in the past but like I said before the legend goes on !!!!

3. steveso profile image81
    stevesoposted 5 years ago

I think the Greeks had the greatest impact on civilization, especially in the areas of government (democracy), art, literature, science and math. It may not have been the largest,but I think it had the greatest influence. In this case size doesn't matter.

4. Matthew Kirk profile image82
    Matthew Kirkposted 5 years ago

The answer is: The British Empire was the largest by about 4 million square miles from the mongolian empire.

The Mongolian Empire is second - but that only lasted a generation or so.

The romans do come in the top 10 I think but nowhere near as large as the British.

And I agree about the greeks, but the British empire literally created the modern world as it is, not to mention the first modern democracy and the oldest lasting that is still in existence as one continuous state.

Thank god for us wink

5. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

That depends on your definition of "empire".
    If you mean a colonial-commercial empire with viceroys and territorial governors, the answer is Spain from 1580s to 1640s.
    If the answer includes a colonial empire with military power and European client states, the answer is Spain from 1530s to the 1590s or France from 1802 to 1814 and 1840s to 1870.
    If you mean a military power with commercial influence over client nations, the US is the largest.
    If you follow the ancient definition whereby any nation-state around a capital city is technically an empire, Russia is the largest.

The UK did have a large colonial empire, but it was nothing in size compared to that of the Spain-Portugal Empire from of the late 16th CE to early 17th CE.

1. Matthew Kirk profile image82
      Matthew Kirkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Taking everything into account take a look at this:
      The British Empire was certainly the largest in almost every respect; even commercially when you think about the global trade it controlled for centuries