jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you know any preppers?

1. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 5 years ago

Do you know any preppers?

The prepper (survivialist) movement seems to be going somewhat mainstream recently.  Do you personally know any preppers?  Any thoughts?  Are they being prudent or paranoid?

2. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

We are "preppers". Not llike the ones on tv who have their children eating worms to learn how to survive, but we prep. Personally I couldn't imagine not prepping in one way or another. The government has proven they are not capable of helping us quickly if something did happen. We have a location to go if something happens (a bug out location). We also have bug out bags. In our basement we have enough water and food to last us for about a month or so. However lots of that is just because I enjoy canning food. I guess I look at it like it is my responsibility to make sure my children are provided for no matter what happens. So I don't see it as paranoid. I live in an area where snow and ice are not common. A few years ago we got ice that resulted in 11 days of no power. I want to know if something like that happens we won't be in the panic rush at the grocery store freaking out because they ran out of food.

1. Rock_nj profile image93
      Rock_njposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that your actions are prudent.  Where I live, we've had 3 major power outages in 14 months (Irene, Halloween Snowstorm 2011, Sandy), which has made me think about preparing for disasters.  I am also concerned about an EMP attack.

3. chrissieklinger profile image91
    chrissieklingerposted 5 years ago

I just saw this on tv last night! I agree everyone should be a little prepared for an emergency and be able to survive for at least a week or two on their own. Not sure I could ever get into the 'prepper' movement, seems a little extreme for me!

4. Amanda108 profile image93
    Amanda108posted 5 years ago

No, I don't know any serious preppers, the kind who would end up on a TV show, but I do know someone who is convinced the end of the world is coming soon. She collects canned food and is thinking about buying live chickens (she knows nothing about how to care for them and make this plan work, however, I must say).