jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How can teachers supplement their income?

1. TFScientist profile image90
    TFScientistposted 5 years ago

How can teachers supplement their income?

Teachers have a wealth of skills and knowledge...they also have a huge summer holiday. How can teachers make more money? Are there any 'sure-fire' ways you have been told about that have failed spectacularly?

2. Rosie writes profile image88
    Rosie writesposted 5 years ago

I'm always looking for ways to supplement my income as a teacher.  In the past, I've worked at tutoring centers and made up to $20 an hour.  I've also tutored students in my home for $30 an hour.  Most teachers I know teach summerschool, which is usually about 8 weeks during the summer. Hubpages is potentially a prospect, if you love to write and are able to produce a large number of quality hubs. I've also been a vendor at many local craft shows selling jewelry and crocheted items.  This can be very profitable if your product is high quality and the show attracts a large number of potential buyers.  I've made over $500 in only a few hours, and found it very enjoyable as well.  In the future, I would like to flip a house.  A friend of mine does this for a living and makes a decent amount of money.

3. multiculturalsoul profile image85
    multiculturalsoulposted 5 years ago

I have worked 22 of 28 summers "off" from teaching to help make ends meet:

1) delivered pizzas (3 years; roughly $10/hour, 40-45 hours/week)
    2) was a "handyman" doing odd jobs (1 year; roughly $5/hour, 40 hours/week)
    2) taught summer school (9 years; $15/hour, 28 hours/week)
    3) worked as a teacher at a day-camp for disadvantaged kids (1 year; $10/hour, 30 hours/week)
    4) worked as a counselor at a day-camp for handicapped kids (1 year; $9/hour, 30 hours/week)
    5) taught (and currently teach) full-time at a year-round residential school (7 years; $27/hour, 40 hours/week)

The other 6 years I traveled, wrote extensively, took care of my sons, vegged, relaxed, recharged ...

4. Michel Gnon profile image71
    Michel Gnonposted 5 years ago

Is it not amazing that despite their having a wealth of skills and knowledge that our dear teachers are still struggling to make the end meet?
    The question then is: do they have the right knowledge or is there something missing in the knowledge they have.
    Being a teacher myself, I realized that the second question is where the problem lies.
    Teachers, like 95% of the human population lack in Financial Literacy.  You need to be financially literate in this 21st century.  You need to know the cashflow quadrant:  Employee, Self-Employed, Business Owner, Investor.
    Teachers need to understand that they need "to mind their own business" while doing their job.  I will encourage all my fellow teachers to go their local library and grab a copy of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki or to any book store for that matter.  It will open their eyes and they will see how to use their talents.
    I have been a real estate investor and agent while teaching, I have sold merchandises on Craig's list generation $320.00 within an hour.  I joined affiliates marketing networks.  Network marketing work and is one of the best business model.  As teachers at time we are inhibited by "academia", we analyze( which is not bad), but we overanalyze and fall into "analysis paralysis"
    We are in the 21st century and as teachers you need to recognize your value and set the bar high on what you are worth.  This is America the land of plenty.  You will see, what you condition your mind to see.  You will get, what you condition your mind to get!

5. Silver Poet profile image77
    Silver Poetposted 5 years ago

A site called www.teacherspayteachers.com allows the sale and exchange of educational materials. Some teachers make a little extra money there.

6. nayaz1625 profile image77
    nayaz1625posted 5 years ago

Hello,
    It is now very common in many countries that teachers give private tuition after school hours. I know many of teacher friends who give private tuition and who make a good earning out of it. Alternately, some teachers may be carrying out part time businesses. And as acknowledged by Michel Gnon above, could be many teachers are now doing online businesses like writing online and selling articles among other possibilities.

working