How long does it take you to write a hub,,,?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

How much time do you normally require to write a hub on the average?

I am asking this because I can easily write a hub within 30-40 minutes time and sometimes a hub will take a couple of hours or so. BUT food hubs are taking a lot longer to complete, maybe because I haven't written much articles on food before. Are you experiencing the same?

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well if you go by my average...let's see, carry the 2..that makes 3 hubs a month....3 into 30 days...

k...apparently, it takes me 10 days per hub. big_smile

2. profile image0
      Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm impressed.  It's taking me far too long at the moment and I need to speed up.  I constantly change things around before I publish - rather than sometimes just publishing.

3. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

it depends for me..at times it takes hardly 15-30 minutes but at times i start but before i finish it take hours..

4. Robert Kernodle profile image80
      Robert Kernodleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

30-40 minutes !

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !

In my content-rich hubs, it can take me a span of time of TWO MONTHS, working four hours a day, five days a week.

Research, photo selection, tag selection, writing, re-writing, composing the hub [here there are always glitches in the hub software, so the process is fraught with failures at this stage, requiring much patience to weather] .....

I cannot conceive of how it possible to write a quality hub in such a short amount of time that you claim.  Think I'll go read one of yours now.

Robert

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

It depends on the idea behind the hub. I can write a hub in under 30 minutes and have done so on certain occasion when it warranted.

I do not write hubs on food, because I have no interest in writing such hubs, even though I do cook for myself all the time.

Sometimes the idea encompasses a lot of information and could take longer than 30 minutes and even 1 or 2 days to complete. wink

3. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

It takes me a ridiculously long time to write/research a hub. I generally do the two at the same time, and usually I'll do one in a day, although I do spend the majority of that day procrastinating. I think this is one of my biggest problems. I don't research properly, and I get distracted a lot so my writing is not high quality and I'm fairly sure I haven't got all this keyword stuff totally figured out yet.

I reckon if I just sat down to write/research a hub, no distractions, it would take a few hours maybe less.

4. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I write one in about 2 hours. I usually do it on and off over a few hours though as I write other things at the same time.

5. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I think it all depends on the content, how well I know the subject, and the slant of it.  Some Hubs are more factual and need more research; but if it is a topic I know really well, I may not need to research it very much at all.  Opinions and product reviews would have a different type of time requirement.

And then, I also try to do rewrites for clarity, consistency, thoroughness or whatever.  Writing any Hub in less than an hour sounds like a wonderful dream to me. Congratulations that you can do it!

6. ThreeFootHat profile image61
    ThreeFootHatposted 13 years ago

Well, I've only written four hubs so far, but they all took about an hour for me to write.  Of course, I write about things that I already know very well!  There is only one that I had to do any research on at all, but even that was just finding a particular name and making sure I had the regions correct.  I suppose once I start writing more on topics that require more research, then it will take longer.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey ThreeFootHat,

First off, let me Welcome you to HubPages.

Secondly, if you like to improve your hubs, for which, I just looked at, I would suggest you visit the Extreme Hub Makeover Forum thread, open a thread and post your 4 links.

The Extreme Hub Makeover thread is all about letting the hubber community the opportunity to critique your hubs and offer advice.

http://hubpages.com/forum/23

Remember, ask for critics, post the links(posting your links in this thread is allowed) and let the veteran hubbers have a gander.

1. ThreeFootHat profile image61
        ThreeFootHatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the welcome!  I checked out the forum and posted two hubs that I would like critiqued.  Maybe I'll see you over there!

7. michifus profile image57
    michifusposted 13 years ago

With the uploading, tweaking, writing and images, id say about an hour for me too

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

it takes me quite a while to put together a decent hub. with the research, etc. 4-6 hours total,sometimes longer, but usually not all at one sitting, I can't sit at a computer all day.

the contest hubs do require more time, especially if you want judges attention. I hope to write this weekend.

I keep missing the 3 p.m. puzzle contest! sad

I think my first hub, I wrote very quickly, more like a blog entry, but now quite a bit of reading/research goes into my hubs.

9. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

If I'm just ranting off the top of my head, a half hour to forty minutes to write, another hour to get pictures and stuff, so call it two hours.

Research hubs (and more serious humor) take more, from six to even twenty hours work time (aka several days or a week).

10. dippykitty profile image61
    dippykittyposted 13 years ago

If it's a topic I know well, I can write something in 20-30 minutes usually. If it's a topic that will require more research, I'm looking at something more like 2-3 hours. I stall a lot too so that probably doesn't help for hubs on topics that I'm not brilliantly familiar with!

11. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

about 15 minutes depending on my thought process!

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's much quicker than normal. Cool!

12. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

Pretty much a loaded question.  Some hubs I write in under thirty minutes while others take hours.

I guess it all depends on research, pictures and so forth.

Cheers

Dale

13. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Anything from 2-5 hours.  The "stuff" hubs take me the least time, while the more abstract/conceptual ones do need a lot more tinkering before I'm happy with them.

14. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

From start to finish in about 3 hours.  When I have an idea, I run with it!  So far I haven't had to do much in the way of research....

15. jondav profile image69
    jondavposted 13 years ago

couple of hours probably on average - ish.

16. katiem2 profile image61
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I typically take about a half hour (30 min) for stuff I know about and 30 minutes for pictures so all in all about 1 hour.  B

ut lately I've been setting on hubs for days before I publish them, I started doing this with the up coming food challenge.  The food hubs do take a lot more time, hours which often turned into days for me.  In fact I burned out after my 6th food hub and called it quits.

I noticed as my hubs set unpublished the hub score rose, hum... I began holding back hubs prolonging the publishing and found that for every hub, regardless of content or level of information, the hub scores rose as it set in waiting.

I wonder if anyone has more insights as to why this would occur.  I'm slowing down in general and making certain my hubs are better quality than my past hubs. 

Good question and interesting topic.  smile

17. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

It has taken me on average 2 to 4 hours to write a hub, because I do a lot of research on the topic I am writing about and I want to provide as accurate information as I can. It can be time consuming but its worth it in the end.

18. Sparhawke profile image60
    Sparhawkeposted 13 years ago

It takes me forever to get around to writing a hub, I know what I want to say...but can never figure out a way to put my point across.

19. jrome125 profile image60
    jrome125posted 13 years ago

same here having problem writing a hub? Tried writing like 5 of them last night but i couldn't.

20. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

It takes me about an hour to write a hub, but six weeks to leave the forums long enough to do it...

21. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

On average? 30 months / 20 hubs = 1.5 months per hub smile

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you need to subtract coffee breaks an trips out to get provisions and sustenance lol

22. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

It depends on the topic and where you want to take it.

This one took me for about 6 hours....

http://hubpages.com/hub/Free-Blackberry-Applications

This one was banged out in 30 minutes http://hubpages.com/hub/Stupid-Parking-Videos

Of which about 20 minutes was spent messing about watching YouTube videos! (Or 'research' as they call it lol)

23. Wendy Krick profile image65
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

If its a topic that I am knowledgeable about it only takes about 30 to 45 minutes. Some take up to 2 hours with research.

24. Eric Calderwood profile image77
    Eric Calderwoodposted 13 years ago

Most of mine take me about 2-3 hours, but one took me 15 hours of straight writing.

25. brettb profile image60
    brettbposted 13 years ago

It takes me around 30 minutes. My best hub has made $50 this month, so that's going to be an incredible hourly rate after a couple of years!

1. Polly C profile image90
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that's a very good rate for such a new hub and hubber, I'm impressed! smile

26. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 13 years ago

It entirely depends on what the hub is about, how long it will be, and how much research a person needs to do. A hub could take 2 minutes, 2 days, or even 2 weeks!

27. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I honestly have no idea. I write all my hubs in little spurts of ten minutes or so and leave them festering unpublished for quite some time. Maybe the writing might take about an hour or two altogether, but then I like to use all my own photos, if I can, so sometimes that takes longer especially if I haven't got any, like with the one I'm working on now.

28. Dobson profile image74
    Dobsonposted 13 years ago

The time to write a hub is dependent on the subject. Right now I am halfway through a 30 part serial and it will take nealry an hour as I sometimes stop to go back and read prior hubs to make sure the continuity is right. Thirty minutes seems way too short to me for a quality hub, but perhaps I am just slow.

29. Derek D profile image59
    Derek Dposted 13 years ago

It takes me forever to write a Hub -research/writing/editing
    At this pace I'm averaging a Hub a month - what a blistering pace (LOL)
    I'm sure like anything; the more Hubs you do  the easier it gets........... cool

30. Aiden Roberts profile image68
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Wow 30 minutes that is quick!

I have only written a couple but they did take a little longer than 30 minutes, maybe because I was learning the ropes.

I now have 4 others in the writing stage and they seem to be taking a very long time however at least two of them are very factual so I have an excuse.

Down the road I hope they will become second nature, here's wishing for now anyway.

31. vanchen profile image68
    vanchenposted 13 years ago

I'd say the average time is takes me is an hour.  But like many others this depends if I have to research and how much I know about the topic already.

32. Lita C. Malicdem profile image59
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 13 years ago

I usually don't fix definite time to any of those hubs I wrote. I write to enjoy, the longer I write, the better. I'm not a compulsive writer, as writing gives me enough pleasure especially when I know I wrote them at my best.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)