jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can I become a science tutor?

1. TFScientist profile image91
    TFScientistposted 5 years ago

How can I become a science tutor?

I am an experienced science teacher taking a year out to look after my son. What are your top 3-5 tips on becoming a tutor - getting trade, keeping records, getting paid, getting results - ideas on all of these are welcome!

2. R W Bobholz profile image68
    R W Bobholzposted 5 years ago

Networking with homeschooling groups, teachers, principals, substitute teachers and other tutors who teach things besides science is a great way to start getting referral traffic. Set up a simple website offering your services and then advertise on Craigslist and the massive amount of freelance work websites for direct internet search traffic. To get work, you can also join tutor.com or similar tutoring website, but they're not your clients at that point.

Your client will be whoever has the money, so you'll want to keep close relationships with them. They'll also be your best source of referrals. You should also mail them tangible bills either before doing the work or shortly afterwards, depending on your style and level of trust.

To build your reputation, you should take any qualifying or certification tests, as well as write as many scientific articles on topics you'll be tutoring in respectable places.

3. rlaha profile image69
    rlahaposted 5 years ago

Hi.
      I agree with RW Bobholz. Networking around your neighborhood and school district is a great way to find parents of children who need help. Also, you could try making business cards (Vistaprint makes your first lot for free, just pay Shipping and Handling) which could help you get more students. You can also try reading my hub:

http://rlaha.hubpages.com/hub/Finding-a-Tutoring-Job

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I would check other tutors in your area for hourly rates.  I would then make up a business card and visit all of the local schools and tell them you are available for tutoring in your subject.

You could leave a card at the library, run a small ad in the local paper and contact the president of the local Parent Teachers Assoc. and let them know you are available.  Also you could sign up to substitute teach at schools in your area so that you get familiar and get to know the schools, teachers and admin. It might take some time but your reputation and availability will eventually become known.

working