jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Can I sue Tesco for feeding me horse?

1. alfredfox profile image75
    alfredfoxposted 5 years ago

Can I sue Tesco for feeding me horse?

Now that Tesco has been found to have horse meat in their burgers, can members of the public file a law suit against them?

2. Nesbyte profile image86
    Nesbyteposted 5 years ago

You could try, but I doubt it'd be successful (apart from anything else, it was their supplier who was responsible for the contamination). You'd also need some grounds for the suit. I'd say trauma, but it seems extreme. I can't think of anything in delict that'd provide anyone with a remedy (unless someone is allergic to horse). In any case, both they and their supplier will be investigated by the Food Standards Agency.

3. Valene profile image85
    Valeneposted 5 years ago

Ohhh, is that the company in the UK that made the 30% horse meat burgers? I heard about that, gross! It would be interesting if someone gets a class action lawsuit going!

1. alfredfox profile image75
      alfredfoxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Plus Burger King as well. We also just found out today that Finbar lasagna contains over 60% horse meat, it seems it is everywhere.

2. Valene profile image85
      Valeneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yikes, I wonder if that means USA Burger Kings as well? Good thing I don't eat much fast food, although I did have a coupon and was tempted! Finbar lasagna must only be a UK thing...I've not heard of that product.

3. alfredfox profile image75
      alfredfoxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Finbar  is a french product. The UK has this Horse meat issue because we have been buying our meat from other countries in Europe like Poland and France. America should be safe lol

4. Valene profile image85
      Valeneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Lol, sure...other than pesticides, rBGH, etc! Hope you guys get your meat back to normal soon.

4. Diana Grant profile image92
    Diana Grantposted 5 years ago

I think that in order to win a successful case, you would have to prove to the court that you have suffered quantifiable loss or harm. Or possibly misrepresentation.

5. JaymoChronicles profile image68
    JaymoChroniclesposted 5 years ago

Agreeing with previous comments, you could try. However, the legal fees of enduring such a conquest would be substaintal to begin with, then you have to consider the legal team that Tesco would have defending this. Better trained lawyers with a bigger bank balance will not help you. There is nothing stop you from doing so, however you will need to prove that you have be harmed or suffered losses in the eyes of law. If you could prove it was either against your religion or potentially involve a biological reason to have been harmed, you will have a much better leg to stand on. If you really want to make an impact, I would suggest file a law suit to the manufacturer. As Tesco will only direct the blame to them anyway, they are likely to be a much smaller firm than Tesco. It is a very complex matter to indulge yourself upon. However, if everyone does follow through on this, would be very interesting to read a Hub on the results.

working