jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

If marijuana and the coca leaf were legal here in USA would meth have been creat

1. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

If marijuana and the coca leaf were legal here in USA would meth have been created?

I had to show my DL today to get cold medicine, then had to sign for it. I found it ridiculous but I wonder if Marijuana and the Coca leaf would have been legal would meth have ever been created?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Yes, because it has been around as long as both of the others you have mentioned. Meth was discovered by a chemist in Japan in 1894. It was used widely during World war II. When the veterans of that war came home, they started forming motorcycle clubs. This is how meth got it's reputation as a biker drug.

peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I should have worded the ? as created in it's current bathtub form.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's how the biker's did it. So, Probably not because they made it to make money. Plus they loved the speed high when they rode. It's different than cocaine.

3. benisan85745 profile image59
    benisan85745posted 5 years ago

The only reason you had to show your DL was because  Ephedrine is now an illegal substance and is the main ingredient in the new form of Meth that is made today. Before the late 80's, the Meth than was just your run of the mill "Speed"...Ephedrine was discovered created "crystals" when cooked. As for the banning on Marijuana and Cocaine, well that had to be prohibited as soon as "White" America was being affected.

peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good to see you! Thanks!

4. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

Even if other drugs were legal, someone might still have stumbled upon meth and decided to mass produce it as a recreational drug.  Different drugs do different things and meth's effects are not the same as the effects you feel from marijuana or chewing on coca leaf, so it fills a different niche.  Nicotine products and alcohol are legal, and yet people feel the need to create other drugs.

working