jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Does anybody else think "naming" all these winter storms is annoying?

1. Justin Muir profile image91
    Justin Muirposted 4 years ago

Does anybody else think "naming" all these winter storms is annoying?

The latest winter storm to hit the Northeast was called winter storm Ukko.  The previous four have been named Triton, Saturn, Rocky and Q -- WHY? I have no idea.  I don't know who started this trend or why they did it.  I suspect some grand marketing scheme between the weather channel and George Lucas.  Your thoughts?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I was thinking the same thing - 'when did this naming of snowstorms start?' and "What kind of stupid name for a storm is 'Ukko' anyway?"

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 4 years ago

I don't find it annoying, just puerille.-------------------------

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

It's like naming hurricanes. It's a way to keep track of them. I've never actually questioned it, just enjoyed each storm. However, snow is an entirely different story. Hate snow.

5. Weekend Reader profile image86
    Weekend Readerposted 4 years ago

The Weather Channel and NOAA may find it easier to talk about named storms, but I would find numbers just as easy to keep up with. I tend to think hurricanes are potential disasters while most winter weather is something you can survive and endure with only nominal preparedness (business owners may not agree with me). Save the names for things I truly have to notice. Oh, wait, that presumes that the weather forecasters can predict what a winter storm is going to do.

6. IDONO profile image80
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

It's annoying but yet, a good idea. When a storm of any kind is named, it gets peoples attention and deserves precautions of some sort. It may not be life or death, but it can cause you to maybe prepare for a snow-in by stocking water and food for a few days. You may change your route to work to avoid jams. Power outages are common in winter storms, so you may prepare for alternate heat, lights and water.
         I hope and believe they won't name a storm unless they are pretty sure of the forecast. I think named storms are taken more seriously and should be.