jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

If the Earth stopped spinning

1. profile image58
    emmarthomson123posted 4 years ago

If the Earth stopped spinning

If the earth stopped spinning, what would happen to us & the earth, would the earth fall and if so where would we fall to?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

The probability for such an event is practically zero in the next few billion years. If the Earth stopped spinning suddenly, the atmosphere would still be in motion with the Earth's original 1100 mile per hour rotation speed at the equator. All of the land masses would be scoured clean of anything not attached to bedrock. This means rocks, topsoil, trees, buildings, your pet dog, and so on, would be swept away into the atmosphere.

1. profile image58
      emmarthomson123posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thankyou, for taking the time to answer my question, it is something that i've always wanted to ask but never dared to ask either. It's good to get another opinion/answer so you can look at it in a different perspective, again, Thankyou.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome emmarthomson123.

3. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 4 years ago

For this to happen, the other planets would have to be involved. If something happens to one, it will affect the others in the solar system. The only way the earth would not revolve is if it were struck by a massive asteroid or another planet that wandered into our space. It would have terrible effects on all the others and end our world as we know it. Let us pray that this will never come about. Thanks. whonu

1. profile image58
      emmarthomson123posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thats another exellent theory, thankyou, every niw and then i look up at the sky and just let thoughts run away with me and its one question that always makes me think and wonder thankyou for your time and valuable input

working