jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Have you served jury duty in court before? If yes, how many times and how many d

1. lady rain profile image94
    lady rainposted 4 years ago

Have you served jury duty in court before? If yes, how many times and how many days each time?

2. Souther29 profile image80
    Souther29posted 4 years ago

I served Jury Duty once before and it lasted 1 week. It all depends on if you get called up and picked for a case. many people get called up for Jury service but then essentially read magazines and wait in a sort of waiting room because they just don't get on a case.

Other people get called for longer cases but always you are reimbursed for extra time away from work.

In the UK it is compulsory you must serve at least once but it isn't so bad and I got an interesting case.

lady rainposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Souther29, the procedure in Australia is similar to what you have described but I am not sure if everybody will be called up at least once in their lifetime. I know some people have served more than once but some never get called up at all.

3. Amber Vyn profile image61
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

I've had jury duty. First, I sat in the courthouse all day, being moved from one room to another as they called out names and screened potential jurors. At the end of the day, I was selected for a case.

The case lasted for three days. Two of the jurors were not even familiar with the basic structure of a court proceeding (Law & Order, anyone?), and one juror refused to consider the evidence because he wasn't physically there (????!!!???). The case ended with a hung jury.

It was a maddening experience, and now I know why people try to get out of jury duty!

lady rainposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Amber, I didn't know there's such a situation with the jury, what a waste of time!

working