jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

What are some ways to pass the time waiting during jury duty?

1. jenbeach21 profile image78
    jenbeach21posted 5 years ago

What are some ways to pass the time waiting during jury duty?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

This is when a tablet, iPad or iPod come in very handy. You can watch movies, read a good book, play games if you have one of those devices. If not, read a good long book and write some good old fashioned letters.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

Last time I got called in for jury duty, I just happened to be getting started on a very large, very good book (Stephen King's "Under the Dome," which was something like 1100+ pages)... so I had no problems passing the time.

4. Rose Anne Karesh profile image73
    Rose Anne Kareshposted 5 years ago

I would use the time to knit! It is relaxing as an activity, feels productive, and is a good conversation starter. I suppose any quiet activity that someone enjoys would be find - drawing, reading, sudoku or crossword puzzles all come to mind as possibilities. Has this happened to you recently?

jenbeach21posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have to go tomorrow for my first jury duty!

5. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

When I was called for jury duty I brought a notebook and pen. I wrote down story ideas and made outlines for future articles. Consequently, the waiting time flew by.

1. pagesvoice profile image85
      pagesvoiceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My answer was in reference to sitting in the courtroom waiting to be called for jury duty. I would never think about future stories while actually sitting on a jury.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Me too!  Once you are chosen to sit on a jury, it is serious business.  Although some jurors make me hope my fate is never in their hands!

6. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I take a good sized purse w/ snacks, an easy to read thriller, a crossword puzzle book, and a notepad for whatever may come up. :>)

7. flacoinohio profile image82
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

How is this for corny?  Write a Hub about how bored you are and what you would rather be doing or what you could be doing instead of Jury duty.  I am partial to playing the online slot or poker games.  Boggle or collapse on iTunes apps is fun too.

jenbeach21posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thought about writing a hub...maybe I will!

8. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Probably listening carefully to the trial and making copious, relevant notes, writing them up into some semblence of order in your hotel room so you are better able to deliver some sense when it is time to make a verdict.

9. ahorseback profile image77
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

How about this , there is only one good answer here in the bunch !  You're  on jury duty , take notes when you can , in the jury deliberation be active and honest and  for gods sake , look at the evidence !  I was totally amazed at how detached many jurors were  at the last trial I participated in , completely ignoring photos because they were "too  gross " to look at !  And then imagining thier way right into "reasonable doult ", I was never more ashamed of  the lack of responsibility in people .  One woman actually left the jury deliberation to go down the street to a deli to get a latte !  My vote - Do your homework !

1. MickS profile image70
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How could she do that?  In the Uk, once your in the jury you can't get out to have contact with others.

working