jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why don't spiders get stuck on their own web?

1. Kevin Peter profile image72
    Kevin Peterposted 4 years ago

Why don't spiders get stuck on their own web?

Almost all insects that go near a spider web get trapped in it. So it must be the sticky substance. But why are spiders spared from it?

2. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 4 years ago

They have these little teflon roller skates ...
    No, seriously, a spider puts just the smallest part of each "foot" on a strand of its web, one tip-toe step at a time. This minimizes the contact the spider has with the sticky substance of its web strands.
    Also, the spider will remove any particles of the web that have stuck to its legs by drawing them through its mouth to clean them.

1. Ciel Clark profile image74
      Ciel Clarkposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have watched spiders cleaning their legs, oddly reminiscent of cats doing the pork chop (leg in air thing).  Hm.  I love spiders in general but those jumping ones make me jumpy.

3. WalterPoon profile image80
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

Actually they can get stuck, that's why they have to be careful to only climb on the non-sticky strands of their webs. They are not immune to their own glue.

4. profile image55
    abt79posted 4 years ago

Why don't people in the army who place land mines get killed on their own mines? Because , like spiders, they know where the mines are. On every web there are both sticky and non-sticky strands. The spider knows which are which.

working