jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What if the Purge was real?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image93
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

What if the Purge was real?

As some of you might know, "The Purge" introduces the concept of our society flourishing because one night every year all crime is legal.  Granted, there are some rules like all politicians are exempt from this, so you couldn't shoot the president if you wanted to, or any other government official.  Plus, you're not allowed to use class 4 weapons, but everything else is fair game.  Therefore, if you want to blow off your boss' head with a shotgun, then it'll be legal to do during the purge.  However, do you think our politics would ever legalize something like this? Please explain your answer.

2. Amber Vyn profile image59
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

No, the movie takes it to the extreme by allowing extremely violent crime. However, the concept is something that was used widely in the past and still in smaller ways in the present. For example, you'd be hard pressed to find a German judge who would convict you of assault if you got in a fight during Octoberfest. Many societies have had set times of festival where the typical rules don't apply to let everybody 'get it all out'.

3. PHILLYDREAMER profile image80
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 4 years ago

I don't think laws are the reason why people don't turn into blood crazed animals.  The fact that we don't want to die is the reason we don't kill.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I don't think such a thing would ever become reality. But let's look at it from the hypothetical position that it does. I would be one of the people who would barricade myself in my house or escape into the wilderness in order to avoid the crimes. I wouldn't be able to participate. While the law of the land allows for and even makes it mandatory to commit crimes, the laws of God order me not to. God law over-rules any laws of man.