jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Have you ever seen a tarantula hawk wasp?

1. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Have you ever seen a tarantula hawk wasp?

Yesterday we found a bug.  We caught it in a plastic bucket,researched it,   then discovered it was really nasty.  Can't be native since it was 2 1/2 inches long and tarantula are rare here.  If you see one they tend to be really small. This thing was as big as the biggest tarantula I  have seen here.

2. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

I come from a small place people wise, and a large place acreage wise. Our deserts are filled with such creatures. Wasps and Tarantulas are common here. On Saturday I will disturb some nests because they threaten my small boy. A tarantula is not that common to see and fairly revered.
    But the tarantula Hawk wasp is the state insect of NM. It plants its larvae in paralyzed tarantula beasts and they live off the living corpse.
    Our world is harsh. A bite from either of these creatures could cause paralysis in a man and drop him to his death.
    I am glad you witnessed such a thing. And were interested.
    Those of us who live in the desert respect these creatures and are ever weary and alert.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image80
      tirelesstravelerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

One of the bits of information we have come across said it's sting is the most painful in the world.

2. Ericdierker profile image53
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Each bug, spider or snake has special venom. One time I was bit by a red ant in a place way out of reach, I did my job, soak my foot in ice cold water. About two miles out driving a big rig my right leg was paralyzed. We are lucky to be alive.

working