jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

What is something you wish you had done in college but never got to do?

1. Jay Max Juster profile image77
    Jay Max Justerposted 4 years ago

What is something you wish you had done in college but never got to do?

Spill it! I'm still in college for one more year!

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

I was way too busy for a social life when  I attended college. Having to work through all the colleges I attended left very little time to enjoy the spoils of the college life.

Jay Max Justerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the honest response, Stacie L.

What are some activities/parties/events that you think you missed out on?

3. brokenmeadows profile image90
    brokenmeadowsposted 4 years ago

I wish I'd been able to travel more.  I put myself through college, working a full-time job while attending, so I never had the money or time to go on weekend trips with my friends, or Spring Break.  It was pretty painful to see their pictures and hear their stories from crazy weekends away, and I wish I'd gotten to partake.

One thing I'll never regret is making my social life a priority.  I did take my job seriously, and kept a B average, but whenever I had the time, I was with friends.  Even something as simple as grabbing lunch between classes or stopping by a friend's place on a Wednesday night to watch a movie provided priceless memories.  College is the time in your life when you have few responsibilities, independence from parental control, and thousands of people your own age who want to make friends and have fun that you meet on a daily basis.  Take advantage of it!  It's harder to meet new people when you get older and have a "real" job.  The friends I made in college will be friends for life, and even the ones I've fallen out of touch with, I still have treasured memories with.

So true, brokenmeadows.

Thank you!

4. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

Taken a different major.  I wish I had majored in criminal justice.  That's one regret I look back at now after spending 12 years working in the legal field.

Thank you, CraftytotheCore, for your response.

Do you think that you could've somehow figured out that you needed to change your major while you were still in college? If so, how?

2. CraftytotheCore profile image82
      CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Jay, I was stuck on one track and didn't realize until after I was mid-career that I would have preferred pursuing criminal justice.  Instead I worked on all matters of law except criminal law.  I should have pursued criminal accident re-construction

5. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Spent more time having fun the first three years. Just like you, I waited until my senior year to enjoy the college experience. Went to games, joined groups, attended lectures, made friends who were going into graduate programs, etc. Doesn't matter which game or what the lecture is on. One of the most memorable lectures I attended consisted of destroyed castles in England. Even though I was a psychology and management student, the experience influenced me. But be wise in your choices of what groups to join because they can help and hurt you in the long run. Still joining a group is important so please do join one. It's valuable to take one year off of school after graduating with your bachelors. Take a break before going into your masters or doctorates. Spend time in a full-time job. Do you like it? Is there another job similar that fits you better? By having friends who are directly going into graduate programs, they can be your little lab rats. Monitor their stress levels, how they handle the change, what mistakes they make, and how you can improve their experiences. Your friends will literally take you places.

Iburmaster, what amazing advice.

I'm also studying psychology and I love attending random lectures! I'll be sure to take a couple years off before tackling a graduate degree and keeping in contact with my friends who dive straight in!

6. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 4 years ago

I wished I partied harder!  I was very studious in college and worked hard to get great grades.  You know where it got me?  At a dead end job!  My friends that graduated with much lower GPAs have better jobs than me.  If I could do it all over again, I would major in something that pays better and party hard.

Great answer, Jeannieinabottle.

I'll work hard next semester to find a balance between Hubbing and partying!

working