jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

I`ve never got a flu shot in my life. Shall I have it this year?

1. discovernew profile image58
    discovernewposted 6 years ago

I`ve never got a flu shot in my life. Shall I have it this year?

2. Benjimester profile image95
    Benjimesterposted 6 years ago

Me neither, and I'm never planning on it.  It has already been shown that natural things like elderberry extract is more than twice as effective against the flu as a shot, covering a broader range of strains.  Natural is always better I think.

3. stephaniedas profile image91
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

I don't think it matters. The flu is terrible, but the shot doesn't come with any guarantee.

4. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I haven't bothered getting it again since the UK screwed up a few years ago by giving everyone protection against the wrong flu virus! I haven't had one since and don't seem to be any worse off.

5. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 6 years ago

i wouldn't get the shot if i had the chance ... i believe giving such boosters when not really required weaken the immune system.

6. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

It depends -- are you habitually around very high-risk people? (i.e. very young, very old, pregnant and immune suppressed individuals) For most healthy adults, the flu is really horrible but it's not life-threatening. In the high-risk groups, it can be deadly. Personally, I never got the flu shot myself until I started having kids -- now I have a 5-year-old and a 10-month-old in the house, with a newborn coming in May, so I get my shot. If you're regularly around hospitals, nursing homes, or clinics where you will be exposed to high-risk people, then it's a matter of social responsibility to not be passing the virus around to people who could die from it. If this is not the case for you, then it's really your own choice of whether or not to get the shot.

7. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i wouldn't but that's just me. i believe that in the end it weakens our system and i think it will have a negative effect on future generations. by using drugs to fight colds and the flu, we are making it so that our bodies don't try to fight. our systems are becoming too dependent on drugs.

working