jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

As an employer, would you hire a college graduate who has only clerical/secretar

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

As an employer, would you hire a college graduate who has only clerical/secretarial job experience

for a professional level job?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8239012_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

It depends. If the position they applied for isn't specifically clerical/secretarial and they didn't have any training for the other parts of the job, I'd ask them questions about those parts. Perhaps their education has given them the knowledge they need to do those other things even though they've never done them. If they can answer the questions properly and I had no other (better) qualified applicants, I'd give the person a chance.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think that a college grad who only has clerical/secretarial experience is ruining his/her chances of ever obtaining a professional level position. He/she is seen as settling instead of being smart enough to wait until suitable jobs are available.

3. kschimmel profile image47
    kschimmelposted 4 years ago

I have known many secretaries who were amazing in their ability to get things done, schedule events, and know key people throughout an organization.  I would hope interviewers would ask about exactly what you did in those jobs.  I personally like people who know how to get things done and how to reach the right people.

working