Have you seen from time to time , 'strange' or 'hybrid' birds in your yard?

1. lostohanababy profile image60
    lostohanababyposted 3 years ago

Have you seen from time to time , 'strange' or 'hybrid' birds in your yard?

Once in awhile when I glance out my apartment front window, I see a 'hybrid' bird.  A few weeks ago, a real strange but kind of cute in a 'odd' way.  A bird that look like 'budgie parakeet', but also look like a sparrow, had combination of soft pastel green on its belly, a parakeet head, and grey wings of a sparrow.  Its size was small, like a sparrow, and its voice was kind of mutated.  It was flying with sparrows.  They had accepted it, like it was a member of the family flock.

2. Theophanes profile image98
    Theophanesposted 3 years ago

Many birds can breed together if they are close enough related and sometimes they do. Sometimes this is because they are the last bird like that in the area and are unable to find a matching mate or sometimes it just happens. However the birds in question do have to be close enough genetically to have offspring. A sparrow and a budgie are waaay different so I am not sure what you are seeing. Hybridization of various finches breeding together or various parrots breeding together is a well documented phenomena in captivity as well as in the wild. If your weird bird is flying with sparrows then it is likely one of its parents is a sparrow, who the other one is I don't know. I'd be seriously doubtful of it being a budgie but I suppose this is a big world and you can't always predict what will show up on it. If you get a chance snap a photo, I would LOVE to see it!

working