Myth or Fact: I'm just can't excel in math due to genetics?

1. Frienderal profile image75
    Frienderalposted 3 years ago

Myth or Fact: I'm just can't excel in math due to genetics?

“I’m just not a math person.”
    The truth is, we hear it all the time.
    Is the ability to excel math at high school level genetic?
    Does innate talent matters more than hard work, preparation and self-confidence?
    If not, how can we ensure that high school students have equal opportunities to excel in mathematics?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9017647_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 3 years ago

Hi  Frienderal I don't think that excelling in math has anything to do with genetics. I have found that in most cases boys seem to take to Math and most girls prefer Writing. However I have noticed that math skills taught to children at an early age and using creative measures such as colors or the
    "Khan Academy" approach really helps kids. To some kids math is not exciting the key is to find an exciting way to introduce math. Perhaps in a video game style. The opportunities to find an exciting way for children to enjoy math has to be offered. It is possible to grasp the concept of math. Keep researching new ways, and you will find answers.

3. Frienderal profile image75
    Frienderalposted 3 years ago

@swilliams You hit the nail smile

The ability to excel math is not due to genetics. Sure, to some extent, math ability is genetic. But at high school level, it matters very little. What matters is hard work, preparation and self-confidence.

Worse, this pernicious mentality "I'm not good at math" can be a self-fulfilling prophecy,

The unprepared kids, not realizing that the top scorers were well-prepared, assume that genetic ability was what matters. Deciding that they “just aren’t math people,” they don’t try harder, and fall further behind.

The well-prepared kids, not realizing that the B students were simply unprepared, assume that they are “math people,” and work hard in the future, cementing their advantage.

working