jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think college is worth the high cost of school loans?

1. Melissa Noon profile image79
    Melissa Noonposted 3 years ago

Do you think college is worth the high cost of school loans?

So I am trying to decide rather or not to go back and get my masters but then I think about how long it is taking me to pay off the school loans I have already and I will be adding at a minimum 30,000 dollars on top of that. Also with the high number of graduates and the decrease of pay is it really worth it?

2. phdast7 profile image85
    phdast7posted 3 years ago

This question should not be either or...go or don't go.    For anyone who has debt, and you do, the question is, where and how can I get a Masters inexpensively, without adding to my debt burden.   If you can't. keep working and save money until you can.   Let's be honest   $30,000 borrowed is likely to turn into $40,000 - $45,000 repaid and the debt will keep you from moving on with other important things in your life.   NOTE:   Student loans are excluded from any bankruptcy proceedings -- so you are screwed twice.  So be very careful.

1. Melissa Noon profile image79
      Melissa Noonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

See that's the point. My 11 grand loans turned into 20 grand. Its high enough for me. I don't want to add to it

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Unless your masters degree will pay you significantly more it's probably hard to justify taking on additional debt. I have known friends of mine who kept going to school mainly for the purpose of deferring the start of paying back their loans. :-)

working