jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Couldn't there be something else besides apes that we descended from (assuming w

1. watergeek profile image96
    watergeekposted 3 years ago

Couldn't there be something else besides apes that we descended from (assuming we did)?

I've heard the possibilities of an ocean being, apes, and an as yet undiscovered common hominid ancestor. What about mermaids, for example?

2. Snøwman profile image60
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

Most scientists don't believe we came from apes. They believe apes and humans come from a common ancestor. I don't know what that common ancestor is.

Personally I don't think evolution has been proven enough for me to believe it. This is what scientists believe, not me. I do believe natural selection. Like a cow today looks different from a cow 2000 years ago, but it's still a cow.

1. watergeek profile image96
      watergeekposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Isn't evolution the result of natural selection? They are processes that can't be separated, aren't they?

3. Robert the Bruce profile image59
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

I don't know. But that's the beauty of science. Science can say "I don't know" and then continue to experiment and research the known facts. Science can say "I was wrong" (unlike religion) and then move on and find out what the truth is. What science doesn't know today it may know tomorrow. Think of all the discoveries within the last 100 years.

I don't believe science has the answer to every question in life, but it's fascinating to continue building on the facts we already know.

working