jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

For those who came from lower, working,& lower middle class socioeconomic backgr

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

For those who came from lower, working,& lower middle class socioeconomic backgrounds,

did you advance from the lower classes?  Do your siblings & relatives also advanced from the lower classes?  If so, what plan did you implement to get out of the lower classes &  what advice would you give a lower, working, and/or lower middle class child and teen who wants to become solidly middle,upper middle class, even upper class?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12124173_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Have some worthwhile goals and be willing to work hard to achieve them.
    Avoid pitfalls of engaging in illegal activity, having children with the wrong person or before you've established a career path.
    Choose to only socialize with people who aspire to reach high levels of success.
    Be willing to relocate if there are no opportunities in your area.
    Learn to save and invest a portion of your income routinely & wisely. Maintain good credit.
    Keep feeding your mind positive thoughts, read books about those who have succeeded and especially those who had humble beginnings.
    Knowing it's possible makes it believable in your own mind.
    Even someone who has a minimum wage job will do better if they don't have other mouths to feed and clothed. Find a hard working roommate to split the rent and utilities if you need to until you decide what you want to do. Avoid making your life harder than it has to be.
    It's not about where you started but where you end up.
    The world may not owe you anything but (you) owe yourself the world!

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

A million applauses!!!!!

3. Dr Billy Kidd profile image92
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 3 years ago

Learn to socialize with upwardly mobile people because your family is not going to give you much help.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY, in fact, the family can and/or may be a.....HINDRANCE to say the least!  I staunchly believe that lower, working & lower middle class parents have NOTHING SUBSTANTIAL to offer to their children. They're parents in the physical sense only

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

I grew up poor / lower middle class. My husband and I learned about Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University" and made a number of decisions that led us to a much better life. Those decisions:
    * working part time in college to minimize college debt, not wasting thousands on trips for fun that we'd spend years paying off
    * upon graduation, continuing to live live starving students instead of rushing out to get new cars and a house
    * getting a smaller home we could afford on one income while both of us worked full time

working