jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Does the world care more about the Paris' terror attack than the continuous Boko

1. dianetrotter profile image70
    dianetrotterposted 3 years ago

Does the world care more about the Paris' terror attack than the continuous Boko Haram massacres?

Why is there no international outcry over the Boko Haram massacres, killing thousands, in Nigeria similar to the one in Paris over where 12 were killed?

2. promisem profile image97
    promisemposted 3 years ago

Maybe because people don't identify enough with the victims. Or maybe there is so much violence in Africa because of the civil wars that people are becoming immune to it.

Closer to home, I would ask why 3 million people march in France against violence when 12 people are gunned down but no one marches in America when 20 school children are slaughtered in Connecticut or 33 students butchered at Virginia Tech.

dianetrotterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

promisem, those are good points.  There are civil wars in Iraq, Syria and other Middle East countries.  Somehow we are not immune to those.  It is scary that we become immune to such things.  Maybe because we don't know what to do period.

3. littlecat2013 profile image88
    littlecat2013posted 3 years ago

I think it may have to do with media coverage. Where I live I don't see see hardly any media coverage about the Boko Haram massacres but I see a ton about Paris. I've maybe seen two to three stories about Boko Haram in the past few days. If I hadn't looked up stories on the internet to see more about what happened I might have never known a massacre occurred. The media shapes our perceptions about world events so if there isn't as much media coverage about Boko Haram then people might not seem to care about it as much. Its not that people don't care. It's just they don't have the information fed to them through the media to care.

dianetrotterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.  The media drives what is in the news.  I was shocked to get a FB post that had body parts strewn over the street.  It is horrific.  All day it has been Belgium.  I am glad they found the cell.

working